Joint Anti-Maoist Offensive to Be Initiated in Jharkhand
Top cop of West Bengal has said that following the success of the first phase of the joint anti-Maoist operation in the state, an identical offensive will be initiated in Jharkhand, said media reports.
Bhupinder Singh, Director General of Police, disclosed this in Kolkata on Wednesday, said reports.
“So far as Orissa goes we had one in the month of January that was of course on a much smaller scale but our basic problems being with Jharkhand so we plan to do that again. I had a meeting with special DG (Director General) CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force), so we will be doing this joint operation with Jharkhand in few days time,” Singh was quoted as saying.
On March 11, Surajit Kar Purakayastha, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) West Bengal said that several rebel camps were successfully destroyed in the first phase of the operation and confidence of villagers was restored, said reports.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had on February 12 defended the use of force against Maoists, saying it was a legitimate right of the Government.
(Based on internet reports)