Sindhurakshak tragedy: Sixth body recovered from submarine
Mumbai: Indian Navy extricated body of one more victim from the submarine INS Sindhurakshak late on Saturday evening, taking the total number of bodies recovered so far to six, naval sources said.
Sources said the Navy divers are carrying out the task of searching within the submarine by “feeling each inch” due to zero visibility within flooded compartments to locate the missing bodies and mark a probable route to be used for further rescue operations.
Quoting experts, he told the news agency that the violation of safety regulations was the most probable cause of the accident on Wednesday.
He, however, qualified his comments, saying that assessment of what really happened are still being made to determine the exact reason behind the tragedy in which 18 Navy officials are feared dead.
“But things are still to be assessed in full… At the moment we are not blaming the equipment,” Rogozin said.
“The very first information that I received at night, several hours after that accident was that the blast had occurred in the section where storage batteries were being charged. This is the most dangerous work, which is connected with safety measures rather than with the producers of this equipment,” he said.
Rogozin also expressed condolences to the Indian side in connection with the loss of lives.