Referring to the last dossier on 26/11 evidence handed over to Islamabad by New Delhi, Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said that Pakistan will respond only after examining the document.
“Our legal experts will examine the new information to see whether it was legally tenable,” ‘The Daily Times’ quoted Qureshi, as saying.
It may be mentioned that on Friday India had handed over more evidence on last year’s Mumbai terror attacks to the Pakistani High Commissioner to India, Shahid Malik.
In a meeting lasting nearly half an hour, Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao handed over the fresh proof to Malik at her South Block office.
Sources said that Malik has purportedly requested a meeting with Rao to discuss forthcoming engagement between leadership of the two countries on the sidelines of UN General Assembly next month. It was during this meeting, that fresh evidence was handed over by the Indian side.
According to reports, meeting of the Indian External Affairs Minister and Foreign Secretary with their Pakistani counterparts is expected to be held on the sidelines of the UNGA next month.
Although the details and nature of evidence was not divulged immediately by the concerned authorities, sources told ANI that this move was prompted by the release of JuD chief and LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed who could not be prosecuted for involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks in the absence of ‘concrete evidence’ against him.
The latest documents given to Pakistan reportedly provide critical evidence against Saeed.
India has expressed dismay over Saeed’s release, whom it sees as the mastermind of the Mumbai terror attacks.
Federal Bureau of investigation officials have also testified and submitted their report to a special court that is investigating the 26/11 attacks.