DU Polls: Disqualified NSUI, ABVP Candidates Move Delhi HC
The NSUI and ABVP candidates who were disqualified from contesting DUSU student union elections for allegedly infringing model code of conduct has moved the Delhi High Court, challenging the university’s decision.
While disqualifying them, DU administration had said that the candidates failed to abide by Lyngdoh Committee recommendations. Their pleas are expected to be heard by the High Court on Tuesday.
In latest development, Rahul Mathur, a NSUI candidate for the post of joint secretary, was also disqualified on Monday. Now, NSUI and ABVP will participate in the polls with only one candidate each, thus leaving ample chance for other parties like SFI, AISA, INSO and others.
DU proctor Gurmeet Singh said: “Rahul Mathur has been disqualified for the same reason as the other candidates.”
Earlier on Saturday, two NSUI candidates Deepak Negi and Umesh Tanwar, along with three ABVP members Rohit Chahal, Lalit Kumar and Ashok Khare were disqualified by the election officer. On the same day, Mathur was served a show-cause notice.
According to DU, in the electioneering these candidates were found spending more money than the fixed amount of Rs 5,000, using cars and organising rallies, which were against the Lyngdoh committee’s recommendations.
Interestingly, ABVP candidates, in their plea, sought intervention of the court to restore their right to fight the elections alleging that the university had misconstrued the recommendations.
NSUI candidates said that the party was against the recommendations as they were practically not feasible, adding the election officer cannot exercise his power once their names were finalised.
Meanwhile, the candidates said that they would continue with their decision to protest the “unwarranted’: decision by DU authorities. NSUI activists moved around with banners on the North Campus on Monday. They are expected to stage demonstrations on the South Campus on Tuesday.