A special court situated at Saint Arthur Jail Road has screened closed circuit TV footage of the terror attack at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus on November 26 last year which showed movements of Pakistani gunmen Mohammed Ajmal Kasab and Abu Ismail, policemen and public.
Due poor quality of the footage, the faces of Kasab and Ismail were not clearly visible.
It should be mentioned that footage of cameras in the main waiting hall of the terminus, where highest number of casualties took place, was not available for devices installed there were not operational on the day and were scheduled for maintenance.
footage of cameras in the main waiting hall of the terminus, where highest number of casualties took place, was not available for devices installed there were not operational on the day and were scheduled for maintenance.
Footage recorded by the cameras on the suburban section of the terminus was mainly screened in the court.
The court viewed only 15 minutes picture of the footage running for one hour and fifteen minutes because only that portion was relevant to the case.
Images from one camera showed the two gunmen moving about in the main waiting hall of CST and one of them firing at police personnel from a distance.
While viewing of the footage, Kasab sat silently in the accused dock and did not react to the footage that was being screened.
The footage shows the two gunmen going out of the terminus at about 2209 hours and then returning back inside at about 2216 hours.
In the footage from other camera, they were shown crisscrossing between beams of a bare platform no 1 of the suburban line of the terminus.
In response to the query about quality of the images in which the gunmen’s faces were not clearly seen, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that it would not affect the prosecution’s case.
“The film is corroborative in nature. It supports the evidence given by eyewitnesses and photographs of the two gunmen firing at CST which were taken by a photojournalist,” Nikam said.
Earlier, Special Judge M L Tahiliyani said that he would consider six CDs of the CCTV footage at CST as secondary evidence.