Liquefying solidarity claims, Pakistan on Thursday said that evidence provided to it, so far, was not adequate to prosecute JuD chief Hafiz Mohd Saeed in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case.
The claims are in stark contrast to India’s assertion that enough evidence has been provided to prosecute Saeed.
Responding to queries over alleged lack of action against Saeed by the Pakistani side, Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit, addressing a weekly news briefing in Islamabad, said: “It needs to be underlined that the dossiers and information received from India apropos Saeed are not really enough … to proceed legally as is being expected.”
Basit said that proceedings in the case would be in accordance with Pakistani law.
His claims were in contrast to Home Minister P Chidambaram’s pronouncements in parliament last week, wherein he stated that India had provided “enough evidence” against the JuD chief in three dossiers it gave to Islamabad.
India recently handed over a fresh dossier, of evidence on the Mumbai attacks, to Islamabad and urged it to expedite Saeed’s prosecution.
Later in the day, New Delhi rubbished Pakistan’s contentions over the matter and reiterated that the evidence handed over to Pakistan was enough.