Hearing the trial of seven suspects linked with last November’s Mumbai terror attacks, including LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, an anti-terrorims court in Pakistan has adjourned the proceedings in the case till September 26.
As there is a strict media blackout imposed by Judge Baqir Ali Rana, no other details regarding the trail was available. The trial is being conducted inside the high-security Adiala Jail in the garrison city of Rawalpindi due to security reasons.
The proceedings are being held in-camera and Rana has issued a gag order, alleging national security concerns as well as safety of the accused and witnesses.
Reports said quoting sources that the judge adjourned the proceedings till September 26 following day’s hearing.
However, it is still not known if the seven accused have formally been indicted so far, even as authorities have prepared chargesheets against them.
Lawyers representing the accused said that they had been directed by the judge to strictly adhere to the gag order and not to discuss the proceedings with the media.
Five LeT operatives – Lakhvi, communications expert Zarar Shah, Abu al-Qama, Hamad Amin Sadiq and Shahid Jamil Riaz – being tried by the anti-terrorism court.
They have been accused of providing training, financial support, accommodation, equipment and communications gear to the 10 terrorists who attacked Mumbai last year.
No details are available of the charges against the two other suspects, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum.