Mumbai Police chief D Sivanandan has stated that the government was probing the allegations of former city police commissioner Hassan Gafoor that four senior officers were lax in their duty during the 26/11 terror attacks and rubbished reports of a war within the police force.
“There is no war or anything like that (in Mumbai police)…The only war we had was against terrorists on November 26 last year when we had done a memorable job,” said Sivanandan, who took over as police commissioner from Gafoor.
He made this statement while responding to a question on alleged war within the police after the comments of DGP (Housing) Gafoor, who was Mumbai police commissioner during the attacks.
He was quoted by a news magazine as saying that four officers – K L Prasad, Deven Bharti, Parambir Singh and K Venkatesham – had failed in due discharge of their duty during the terror strike.
“It has to be checked if anybody has said anything and it is the job of the government. The government is looking into the matter and it would respond to it. Being the police commissioner it is not appropriate for me to comment on this before the conclusion of the inquiry,” he said.
Additional Chief Secretary (Home) is conducting an inquiry into Gafoor’s comments.