Union Law Minister M. Veerappa Moily has supported the decision of the central government to withdraw the case against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi in multi-crore Bofors gun deal scam, admitting that there was nothing left to do in the case.
Pleading helplessness in the probe, Moily defended the Central Bureau of Investigation’s (CBI) positive role.
While speaking to private TV channel, the minister said: “This case is going on since long. If he could be brought back and any conviction could be held then the case could be pursued with a positive result. But ultimately nothing positive was found.”
“In Feb 2004 itself the Delhi High Court said it is a waste of time. Thereafter the case was handed over to the CBI, and they have been playing a positive role for 22 years now. We must have spent more money in the case than the Bofors gun itself,” Moily added.
It may be mentioned that the CBI decided to drop all cases against Quattrochhi, the main accused in Bofors gun deal scam.
“We want to close the matter against Bofors accused Ottavio Quattrocchi,” said the CBI.
Earlier, the apex court had been informed by the Centre that they want to drop all cases against Quattrocchi.
Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium told the court that the CBI has failed to extradite Quattrocchi and that the Delhi High Court has held that there is no case under the Prevention of Corruption Act in the Bofors matter.
The Supreme Court will hear the matter on December 11.