India Expects Pak to Act against Saeed, Others: Chidambaram
Criticising Pakistan for allowing Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) chief Hafiz Saeed to make provocative anti-India statements, India on Tuesday said ‘any responsible government’ would have acted on the information, of his involvement in the 26/11 Mumbai terror carnage, provided to Islamabad, said reports.
“We are very clear of the role of Hafiz Saeed (in the Mumbai terror attack). It is a role that deserves to be investigated. Any responsible government would have acted on the information. Far from investigating, the Pakistan government is allowing him to make provocative statements,” Union Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters.
He was presenting the monthly report of his ministry.
He said India expected Pakistan to act against terrorists named in three dossiers that New Delhi handed over to Islamabad during foreign secretary-level talks last week.
“Three dossiers prepared by the ministry of home affairs were handed over by our foreign secretary to the foreign secretary of Pakistan. We expect Pakistan to take action against the persons mentioned in the three dossiers,” Chidambaram said.
Indian foreign secretary Nirupama Rao met her Pakistani counterpart, Salman Bashir, in New Delhi on Feb. 25.
Chidambaram said he also met Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) chief Robert Mueller Feb 23. “Our discussions were useful and centered on the case of David Headley and on intelligence sharing,” he said.
Headley, a Pak born US national, is suspected to have played a key role in the Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people in 2008.
He has been in US custody since last year and has been indicted by the FBI on charges of planning more such attacks in Denmark and India.
(Based on media reports)