Govt Won’t Accept Any Precondition for Talks with Maoists: Chidambaram
In response to truce offer made by Maoists, the government has ruled out accepting any pre-condition for talks with ‘ifs and buts’ and asked the rebels to come out with a simple statement that they will shun violence, said media reports.
“I would like no ifs, no buts and no conditions,” Home Minister P Chidambaram was quoted as saying in a statement.
Yesterday, making a conditional ceasefire offer, CPI (Maoists) has asked the government to stop the offensive against them for 72 days and involve mediators for talks.
Chidambaram said that government has seen many versions of a statement reportedly made by the leaders of the CPI (Maoist), said reports.
“In the absence of an authentic statement, Government is unable to respond to these versions,” the statement said.
Clearing the air, however, Chidambaram was quoted as saying: “I would like a short, simple statement from the CPI (Maoist) saying ‘We will abjure violence and we are prepared for talks’.”
The home minister also said that he would like the statement to be faxed to Home Ministry number 011-23093155, reports said.
“Once I receive the statement, I shall consult the Prime Minister and other colleagues and respond promptly,” he was quoted as saying.
It may be mentioned that top Maoist leader Kishenji told the media over phone yesterday from an undisclosed place that ‘state governments and the Centre should not indulge in violence between February 25 and May 7 and concentrate on development of tribal areas which will be reciprocated by Maoists’.
He was responding to Chidamabaram’s statement last week that if the Maoists halted violence for 72 hours, the government would be ready for talks with them.
(Based on internet reports)