Togo’s Prime Minister Gilbert Fossoun Houngbo on Sunday said the nation’s football team must return home after suffering an attack during the African Nations Cup in Angola, the team had earlier decided to continue to play.
The prime minister said the team must return home, and added that any team playing under the Togo banner should be deemed false representation.
The prime ministerial announcement came after separatist rebels opened fire as the Togo soccer team buses crossed into the Angolan enclave of Cabinda for the football tournament Friday.
A spokesperson and an assistant coach for the team were killed and several others were injured in the attack. The Togo government has decided to hold three days of mourning for the victims.