Taliban Strongholds Now Under Control of NATO Troops
On second day of new offensive against Taliban, the NATO-led forces claimed that they have gained control over Marjah and other major strongholds of the Tabliban in Afghanistan even as the offensive involving 15,000 troops continue, reported IANS.
As many as 27 militants were killed and crucial positions across Marjah seized by the forces, including the US, Afghan and British troops since they launched house-to-house search in the southern Helmand province as part of the operation ‘Mushtarak’ (together) launched on Saturday, report said.
According to Mohammed Dawood Ahmadi, a spokesman for Helmand province’s governor, Afghan and NATO forces had established 11 outposts across Marhah and two in the neighbouring town of Nad Ali, said reports.
“We now occupy all the strategic points in the area,” he was quoted as saying.
Report said that marines and soldiers launched patrolling from those posts, searching door-to-door for weapons and fighters.
This phase of the operation, considered the most dangerous, is expected to last at least five days, report said.
The News reported that the allied forces faced resistance from the insurgents and the pattern suggested that the hardest fighting lies in the days to come.
One American and a British marine soldier were reported killed by small-arms fire. NATO officials said that no civilian casualties had been reported.